Saturday 25 April 2009

Boys and bikes


As many of you know, Dave was planning to ride in the MS 150 last weekend, but due to an absolutely massive downpour on Friday evening and Saturday morning, the first stage of the ride was called off.

(Just for reference, here's that creek near home again - it was featured in an earlier blog post - so you can see what I mean by 'absolutely massive'.)


Anyway, we sensibly spent Saturday morning in the local iHop with our friends Matt and Rebecca, but on Sunday the guys decided they were going to ride somewhere; the official ride was continuing on the Day 2 route, but as that would have meant an early morning drive out to La Grange (in multiple cars to get both bodies and bicycles out there), and then contending with traffic and headaches in Austin in the evening before driving three hours home again, they decided to do their own thing... which ended up being an 85 mile round-trip out to Bellville, a small town out to the west of Houston.



Rebecca and I decided to surprise them by meeting them out there for lunch, but that was the only support they received - they covered the 85 miles in about 6 and a half hours of riding, which I think was pretty good going! I only wish I had a photo of them drinking beer and eating pie on the patio after they got home again...

My apologies for the long gap between posts - Dave's image-hosting website is still broken, which means I can't display photos as well as I'd like, which is a lot of the reason I blog in the first place! So I haven't been feeling all that inspired. Not to mention, extreme busyness at work, and having guests here, and lots on, has meant very little time - if you're one of the MANY waiting on an email from me, please accept my grovelling apologies!
In any case, I will be trying to get back into the habit of blogging more regularly again - not to mention catching up on my emails - and in the meantime you can click on any of the images above to see a larger version, even though I can't display the larger version within the post itself, as I would like.
Love to all my readers! (All three of you ;) )
xxx

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Dave and Matt.....you look so sexy in cycling shorts!!!! good on you for the 85 miles - that is very impressive. Kathryn - So glad you blog has come alive again :)

S xxxx

anita said...

maybe i am number 4 reader?

the sun looks good

xxxxx

mama said...

Well, here comes the third comment and I'm positive there will be more from your MANY readers!

The boys look very fit - 85 miles is not to be sneezed at! And I echo Sharon in saying I'm so glad your blog has come alive again!!!

unkleE said...

Hmmm. I'm a little disappointed that no-one so far has commented on the thing of greatest interest - the urban hydrology.

That photo was very interesting, where exactly was it taken? (I checked out the earlier photo, and it doesn't seem to be in the channel behind your house.) How deep was "your" channel? Did it get as high as it did during the hurricane?

These are the important questions! : )

Kathryn said...

Ahh, but dad -
the urban hydrology was for you, and I would have been disappointed if anyone but you had commented on it ;)

The photo was taken at the intersection of West Little York and Highway 6 - the north-west corner. The channel behind our house WAS quite full, which was a bit odd, as it didn't fill up all that much after Ike! Percentage-wise, it was probably about as full as the picture, maybe a little less - in actual volume far less (which is good, as it would have flooded our house ;) ).

unkleE said...

* Mad Dad smiles contentedly - all's now right with the world. : ) *

Anonymous said...

Hey i read your blog!! So i'm what, reader number five???