Tuesday 31 August 2010

Take me out to the ball game


Last night I went to my first baseball game! The Houston Astros vs the St Louis (don't forget to pronounce the 's') Cardinals, at Minutemaid Park downtown. We got the tickets through work - non-profits sometimes get given tickets to sporting events or plays, as a thank you for the work they do. Dave, Anna and I snaffled three of them and were ready, with hot dogs and beer (or Coke, for some of us) at the 7.05pm first pitch.




As far as baseball goes, we hear we had a quick game - all done in just over two hours! Certainly there was nothing of the leisureliness of cricket about it, but it was fun to be there for all the traditions - the national anthem, the seventh inning stretch, the organ music... and the Minutemaid train (those are supposed to be oranges in the back; Minutemaid is famous for juice) which whistles and drives up and down when home runs are scored.


And the Astros won - which apparently they have not been doing, as a general rule - so maybe we brought them some indirect beginners' luck!

2 comments:

mama said...

My Goodness!! Well all I can say is"Let's play ball!"

PS The word verification for this was "inferi" which made me think darkly of the magic lake and Harry and Dumbledore attempting to retrieve the Horcrux.EEK!!

anita said...

v cool pix kh.

lovely u got to go....but when will u be here to go to to lords w tom?

my verification word is actually 'loans'

a

xxxxx