Sunday 3 April 2011

The magic windowsill

Dave's parents gave me a beautiful orchid for my last birthday; it bloomed for a few weeks, and then all the flowers dropped off and it turned into a bare stick with some leaves at the base. I researched 'care of orchids' on the internet, and found it a place with indirect light, as instructed, and watered it a little once a week, as instructed... still, I had bare sticks. I kept watering it regularly but gave up hoping it would ever do anything more.

But one evening I noticed that it had developed some buds - over weeks, they grew larger - and finally, they started to bloom!


Once it had a few flowers on it I moved it into the entry to show it off - and yesterday, the final bud opened. Over the last 6 weeks, 19 flowers have opened. And the oldest one is still as beautiful as the newest!




I have moved my second orchid (also no more than a green stick for months) onto the magic windowsill, which suited the first one so perfectly - so far it has 10 buds...

4 comments:

unkleE said...

It shows you just have to get orchidnised! : )

anita said...

(groan)

i had the same experience with an orchid too. it is so weird when they are just a twig like that...

a

xxx

mama said...

Well, it's certainly absolutely glorious!

BTW,what is that silver tea set thingy next to it?

Kathryn said...

trust the eagle-eyed mama to spot something new!

it's actually a coffee service; I 'accidentally' bought it at a charity silent auction recently (as in, I put down a low bid and was sure someone would outbid me, but no one did)

I just loved its clean, classic lines... I don't know when I'll ever get to use it though ;)