Sunday 6 March 2011

A Grand Day Out

I know I've said it before, but one of the best things about living in Houston is leaving it... there are so many interesting places just a few hours away; it's one of my favourite things to have a semi-early start on a Saturday or a Sunday and go driving out to somewhere new (or old!).

A few tell-tale clues will reveal that this trip actually took place in mid-October last year, but due to aforementioned laptop issues I didn't get to post the pictures until now.


Old Courthouse - Blanco. We went in and looked at historic photos which lined the hallways on the ground floor - fascinating!

The current Blanco Municipal Court. I guess while you wait to be judged you sit in the porch swing and compose your mind.

I have to confess that I have developed a real taste for proper Barbecue, since living here - and this sort of place, somewhat rough-and-ready, one-off places in small towns, tend to have the very best. As witnessed below (that's for Dave AND me - I'm not quite such a piggy as to be able to eat all that alone!):


Above and below - Wildlife Garden and seed farm.





Courtyard of an antique store in Fredericksburg (our actual destination, but it took us most of the day to get there, as we stopped off so much!)







The eight-sided church in central Fredericksburg. It was in a park in the main part of town, which was holding a mesquite festival the weekend we were there - lovely handmade furniture, Christmas decorations, and similar.

2 comments:

unkleE said...

I loved the photos, especially the one of the happy couple! : )

I looked it up on a map (did I need to tell you that?). I didn't realise Fredericksburg (which I had heard of) was as far away as that. I too enjoyed the small towns we visited best of everything (except the San Antonio riverwalk and missions), and this isn't too far from where we went at Boerne and Gruene.

mama said...

This is a lovely account of your wonderful day out. Just about every picture brought forth some emotion from me. Some made me nostalgic remembering the trip we took with you in 2009 to the small towns. The barbecue made me wish for the opportunity to munch into a stack of ribs once again and the photo of you two made me think about how long it is since we have seen you.