Friday 7 November 2008

Kathryn's scrummy banana bread

One of the things I've been having most fun doing, with extra time on my hands and someone else to cook for, is experimenting with recipes. After trying them a few times with different variations, the best of them make it into the sacred document 'Tried and True Recipes' - and this one is, I think, worth sharing. I found the original recipe on the internet, but have made changes each time I made it, and I think this version is the best.

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
½ cup of butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ cups plain flour
¾ cup wholemeal flour
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup sultanas

Before beginning, grease two medium loaf baking pans. Mix a small amount of white sugar and cinnamon together, and dust the inside of the baking pan with the mixture.

Mix white and brown sugar together until evenly mixed.
Add butter and mix with sugar.
Add eggs, sour cream and bananas.
Add vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Add baking powder and flour.
Add walnuts and sultanas.
Pour mixture evenly into baking pans, place walnuts on the top if desired.
Cook for an hour at 300F. After one hour, test; if not cooked through, increase heat to 350F and test at ten minute intervals.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you cream the butter in with the sugar or melt it first?

PS I was trying to peek through the ingredients and over the bench to see how your new table looks in the dining area - but alas it is out of range.

Anonymous said...

we miss you

i want to say someting about my birthday

i know

something i could say especially for kathryn when it's her birthday

i would say to her, i don't really know what i would say to her

i don't want you writing i don't know - yeah, take it away, how do you take it away? did you take it away mum?...(uh huh) .... great!

Anonymous said...

i feel really bad now, that i did not take it away

he wanted so much to comment on the cakes, but got confused, and then lost confidence altogether!

but his first response was automatic - we miss you

Kathryn said...

You cream the butter in with the sugar - it isn't a lot of butter, for the amount of sugar, so it will look sort of crumbly rather than smooth, but that's right!

I miss you too, Eddie! Some day soon we will see each other, either at my house or at yours, and then we will make cakes together :)
I love you so much *hugs*

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....I've got everything but the wholemeal flour. How essential to the recipe is this, should I just suck it up and go buy it? Perfect timing btw, I've got exactly 4 bananas reaching the point of being caked or thrown out. :)

unkleE said...

I will be around tonight for supper on the porch! : )

Anonymous said...

This makes me wish I liked bananas, but sadly I don't.

Still, the pancake recipe was a big hit!

Anonymous said...

I love bananas. But if I do bother cooking this (and let's face it, I am far too busy playing hockey and living alone to cook anything with more than 3 or 4 ingredients) I will take out the walnuts. Yukky poo. Yum bananas and vanilla and cinnamon....yum....

~Jeraly~ said...

*looks for the bananas in the picture*

Kathryn said...

ah, but when you make banana bread, you make it with over-ripe bananas, and they're never very photogenic ;)

Loui, I'm not a big fan of walnuts either, but I buy the crushed sort for this, and it honestly is an addition when they're used in moderation :)
but otherwise - yeah, urk; they taste like dirt ;)

sam becca zach and martha said...

oh yum! i love baking (and eating) banana bread - this recipe looks great! in fact i think i might try it now. nice pictures too...delicious

becca j